Wednesday 28 June 2017

Shutter delight

Longer-term Spectators will know that from time to time, I post some of my photography here. To me, the blog is my 'cultural diary', so to speak - and the joy and satisfaction I get from taking photographs is as crucial a part of my artistic make-up as music, art or writing.

I love portraiture most of all, and I am very lucky to have some exceptionally game friends who are happy to play their part in front of the lens. The collaborative aspect is one of the most rewarding and liberating aspects of photography for me, since what I mainly do the rest of the time - writing - is essentially solitary. The small price I pay for 'working' with these folk is that, of course, sometimes it feels an age goes by between sessions because our busy lives get in the way.

So - I have particular cause to be grateful to Suzanne, who immediately stepped up to the task at short notice, when I realised that the deadline for a competition I wanted to enter was much sooner than I'd thought. Sharing an interest in the 60s portraiture (and bonding over a Terence Donovan exhibition in particular), we decided to pay tribute with some pictures meant to evoke a similar mood and, ideally, era. In no time at all, Suzanne - a real expert in mastering an authentic look - was coming up with 'test selfies' where she'd already nailed the outfits and even the correct make-up. I repeat: I am very fortunate in my partners-in-crime.

Whatever the competition outcome, I was thrilled with the results of the session. Here are my favourite pictures from the day - I hope you enjoy them.























No comments:

Post a Comment